Guest Articles by David from DronesBuy.net – Check out his brilliant work
You’ve probably already heard about the incredible drone revolution. Camera drones, racing drones, FPV, drone racing leagues … even Lady Gaga is using drones in her shows as we’ve seen in this year’s SuperBowl, they’re literally everywhere!
As drones become more popular, their price is comes down, their technology becomes better and simply put, they become more accessible – it’s the normal demand and supply phenomenon at work. And they’re definitely become very popular right now!
But the commercial and consumer drone revolution has an interesting, a curious and even a more deadly past – the history of how drones have come about is extremely interesting.
It’s interesting to read and understand how drones technology has evolved and how it has matured over the years. All the individual technologies used to power these gadgets had to come together to eventually enable the current version of drones.
But drones, like most pieces of advanced technology, started from the R&D of the military first and then trickled down into everyday use, both commercial and consumer.
The following infographic from DronesBuy.net fully explains the history of drones as it happened through the 200+ years, from the initial unmanned flight by the Montgolfier brothers, to the current usage of consumer and commercial drones in such stuff as photography, drone racing and drones controlled by iPhones!
But let me ask you a few questions to tickle your curiosity!
- Did you know that the first unmanned vehicle flight took place in 1782 by the Montgolfier brothers – in a hot-air balloon?
- Did you know that military use of drones first occurred in 1848 in Austria, with bombs flown by hot-air balloons?
- Did you know that Tesla played an important part in the evolution of the history of drones by inventing radio control technology?
- Did you know that the first drone used for surveillance (i.e. with a camera) was deployed at the end of the 19th century?
- Did you know that Marilyn Monroe was discovered when working within a military drone facility?
- Did you know that these days drones are being used to create spectacular lighting effects in concerts such as the Superbowl by artists such as Lady Gaga and these shows will probably become more and more sophisticated thanks to drone swarms?
- Did you know that the drone racing league prizes have soared to $1m and are likely to climb even higher in the next few years with the league becoming mainstream?